Mount Washington has earned the reputation of the ‘Worlds Worst Weather” since it held the record for the highest wind gust for 62 Years (231 mph back in April of 1934). Though the record was toppled in 1996, Mount Washington still holds the title for the highest wind gust observed by man. Despite that reputation, Mount Washington is the most visited peak in the Eastern Slope of the White Mountains.
Mount Washington was originally known as Agiochook (“Home of the Great Spirit”) before the early settlers from Europe arrived.
Fun Mount Washington Trivia:
- Darby Field made the first ascent of Mount Washington in 1642
- Mount Washington was developed as one of the first tourist destinations in the country
- A stagecoach road - called the Mount Washington Auto Road - was developed for tourists to visit the summit.
- The Mount Washington Cog Railway - built in 1969 - was developed to bring tourists to the summit via the rails
- Mount Washington is the highest peak in the North East United States at 6,288 feet
Learn more about Mount Washington at https://www.mountwashington.org/