Blog :: 03-2011

The Mount Washington Auto Road Celebrates its 150th Anniversary This Year!

It's hard to believe. Especially since there were no automobiles here 150 years ago. According to AAA in their Northern New England Journeyquarterly magazine, the original road opened on August 8th, 1861. And,"Freelan O. Stanley and his wife, Flora, made the first motorized ascent of Mount Washington on August 30, 1899, in his Stanley Locomobile." We thought there was something strange about it being called the "auto" road way back when. It was originally called the Mount Washington Carriage Road. For more information about the "auto road" and the 150 year anniversary, visit